Thursday, 1 June 2017

Eggs' Corner Shop: New floor tiles!

Eggs' house, like Mei's, had the biggest interior revamp since the update. In my current dream address, Eggs only has an extra room in the back, an upstairs, and a basement. I added a grocer and a thrift store to the bottom floor quite some time ago, but I changed the flooring since then so I'll do a Before & After of those rooms as well.


The biggest difference is the flooring for each of the rooms. I was inspired by all the beautiful Peranakan tiles I saw in the shophouses on my recent trip to Melaka. It reminded me of the tiles in my parents home in Cambodia (which is a mixture of Khmer and French colonial influence), but a lot more intricate. Peranakan or Baba-Nyonya refers to the descendants of Chinese immigrants that settled in now Malaysia and Singapore. The architectural style features indoor courtyards, colourful tiles, and remnants of colonial influences. It was hard to get everything to look exactly the way I imagined it because of the limited furniture choices, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. It was also the first time I made tiles! I thought they would be really difficult to make but it turned out to be surprisingly easy (there was lots DS flipping and turning involved). 

Main Cafe Area: Before



This is what the main cafe area looks like in the current dream update. When I revisited to take these pictures, I was shocked at how much I dislike the way I made it back then. It just looked way too cluttered and cramped, especially since the green chairs are so bulky.


I used the classic table (refurbished to chocolate) and the exotic chairs instead of the green chairs and flower tables. I honestly miss the flower tables a little because they are so funky and cute but at least I got to use some in Mei's house. I kept the plant partitions but I removed the snack machine and sprout table (obviously because they didn't match) which opened up a lot of space. It looks so much more sophisticated, yay.

Before: Extra seating area


This was the extra seating area in the back with a cozy autumnal feel. Despite really liking this room (I freaking love small spaces), it was completely different from the main cafe area which bothered me a lot. It didn't really go with the new revamp either, so I decided to change it completely.

After: Garden shop and extra seating area 

Extra seating for two in the back next to an indoor rock pool

Shop area with the view of the rock pool in the back

Another shop area to the left with the cashier
This was probably the biggest room change, most notably because the room size got maxed out. I wanted it to look like an indoor courtyard in a Peranakan style house. Originally, the gardening corner was in Mei's bed&breakfast. The shop itself looks smaller because I spread the plants out around the room and just put the main greenhouse box and flower case in the front. There was space to put more tables and flowers in the front but I didn't want to make it look too cluttered. K.K. Lullaby is playing in the background.

Before: Village Grocer


This is a new room that's not in the current update. Before I redid the whole place with tiles, this is what the village grocer looked like. I love the kitchen tiles because it looks almost exactly like the ones at home. Here you can buy all sorts of luxurious food stuffs like... cheese, bread, chocolate bars...

After: Villager Grocer with new tiles 


And here's the new room with the hand drawn-tile treatment! The items sold are relatively the same, except I changed the canned foods to fresh vegetables and I moved the cheese to the back (maybe a bad idea... would it melt in the sun?) and replaced it with a giant wedding cake.

Before: Thrift Store



This is the other new room... it's a thrift store! I love the way the herringbone floor and groovy wall looks together, but...must...fit...theme!

After: Thrift store with new tiles


Aaaand the new tiles! I replaced the ranch hutch and modern wood table display with an old sewing machine and turntable. The old sewing machine is actually very fitting since it's a common heirloom passed down to a lot of Chinese families, mine included. The sewing machine part is not really used anymore, but the legs are a common antique used to refurbish into end tables, otherwise the whole thing is used for decoration.

Before: Eggs' Room


Here's Eggs' personal room upstairs in the current update. I actually don't remember why I made a character with the name Eggs besides the fact that I love eggs... Despite not really liking the Egg furniture series I decided to use them because it went with his name. It made his character look quite childish, kind of like Mei. I don't know if I liked that idea since he runs so many sophisticated businesses downstairs, but I didn't want to make it look too "pretty" like the other newer rooms with the new floor tiles. 

After: Eggs - matured



I compromised by keeping his room different to the main rooms but used one of my unused tile designs to refurbish his furniture. I really love how the modern bed and lamp looks like customised, but I really wish there were more base colour options! I kept the two rolling closets there but removed all the egg stuff and replaced it with some orange coloured furniture like the refurbished patchwork set. I took out his giant drum set but kept his guitar and moved his computer. I used the sunflower stereo in Mei's room so I replaced it with a sloppy stereo. 

Before: Basement bar



*Deep breath* almost there. Here's how the basement bar and music venue looks in the current dream update. I used black box seats and the brown seat. I thought the sleek set was perfect for a bar, especially those stools. The light sources are basically just the stain glass lamp, juke box, and a stain glass window (unseen). 

After: Basement bar.. Wong Kar Wei style





Finally, here's what it looks like now! I transformed it into a hidden piano bar with Wong Kar Wei-esque lighting. I love how custom tile designs look on the wood stools (I used it in Charlie's cabin too). I was able to reuse the black box seats and kept a few of the sleek set since the black matched. I moved the synthesizer out as it didn't really fit the theme and changed it to a classic upright piano. I'm glad I was able to use the tranquil bridge somewhere because it was a pretty impulsive RV purchase. 

Next post will be Charlie's cabin transformation and then all rooms will be completed! 




No comments:

Post a Comment